If you’re like most people you probably have a “Life is Good” T-Shirt. The brand features a character named Jake and he seems like he’s always having fun. I never realized what the “Life is Good” saying really means! Bert and John Jacobs are the developers of this brand and recently came out with a book. It’s called, “Life is Good: The Book.” In this book they talk about their hardships and even tragedies. So it’s not as if life has always been good to them. Bert asks, “How could anyone wear one of our shirts after 9/11 happened?” But, it was shortly after 9/11 that their company experienced a huge growth spurt. It’s because “Life is Good” is really about optimism. In their book they talk about 10 superpowers that we all possess to help us be optimistic, no matter what adversity we face.
Here are the superpowers you already possess that can cripple OCD:
- Openness (to learning a different way of handling OCD.)
- Courage (to be anxious without fixing it).
- Simplicity (shed the complicated compulsions.)
- Humor (OCD crumbles with laughter.)
- Gratitude for the many things in life that are good and working well.
- Compassion towards others and oneself. (Don’t be a self-hater!)
- Fun-seeking. (It gets you out of “threat and protect” mode.)
- Creativity (allows you to outsmart OCD.)
- Authenticity is being who you really want to be. Do what you love and love what you do! (That’s the Life is Good tagline.)
- Love (is so powerful and it’s impossible to be in threat and protect mode when you are truly appreciating someone.)
I encourage you to get the “Life is Good” book because it shows you how to be optimistic in the face of adversity. But, even if you don’t get the book you can still access your 10 SUPERPOWERS to help you BOSS it BACK!
I send out weekly tips to help you Boss OCD Back! The above is based on the tip sent this past week. If you’d like to receive weekly tips send me your email and I’ll help you be a lean mean fighting machine against OCD!